Removable Implant-Supported Dentures
In addition to fixed implant-supported dentures, Dr. Peter Lotowski of Wisconsin Dental Solutions offer removable implant-supported dentures, which are similar, but with important distinctions. Removable implant-supported dentures typically require fewer dental implants and can be easily removed for cleaning.
How Are Removable Implant-Supported Dentures Placed?
Dr. Lotowski offers two types of removable implant-supported dentures:
- Snap on dentures: two or more dental implants + full denture appliance
- Removable bridges: four to six dental implants (in each arch) + dental bridge
Dr. Lotowski use barrel-shaped attachments to support the removable implant-supported denture appliance and hold it firmly in place. The barrel-shaped attachments are placed on top of each implant post, and the denture prosthetic snaps onto the pieces with suction cups that fit on the barrel-shaped attachments. For this reason, this type of denture is also known as a ball-retained, implant-supported denture. An implant-retained denture requires at least two dental implant posts. The upper jaw usually requires a greater number of implant posts, as well as dentures supported by mini dental implants.
How Do I Remove Implant-Supported Dentures?
In order to remove an implant-supported denture on your own, our doctors advise applying slight pressure in a lifting motion to disconnect the denture from the implant. When placing dentures back into the mouth, the denture sockets need to align with the implants that fit into them. Applying slight pressure will snap the denture back into its rightful place.
Advantages of Removable Implant-Supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures eliminate many of the problems associated with wearing traditional dentures, including:
- The use of messy adhesive products
- Covering the roof of the mouth (we can leave the roof uncovered)
- Difficulty chewing or speaking comfortably
- Fear that the dentures will slip or fall out
- Lack of confidence when laughing or smiling in front of others
- Uncomfortable pressure on the gums/cheeks
- Collapse of the facial features
- Deteriorating gums/bone
- Eliminates "gagging reflex"
Schedule an Implants Consultation at Wisconsin Dental Solutions
If you'd like more information about removable implant-supported dentures, please call (608) 834-6321 to schedule an informative consultation with our Madison dental implants team.