Mini Dental Implants
Some patients that visit Wisconsin Dental Solutions are not good candidates for standard dental implants in Madison, WI because they have an inadequately wide jawbone or excessively narrow tooth spaces. Dr. Peter Lotowski has a safe and effective alternative: mini dental implants, which can replace one tooth or multiple teeth. Mini dental implants are also used to provide long-term support to lower dentures.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants are beneficial for the following reasons:
- The placement process is minimally invasive.
- Some of our mini implants are almost immediately fully functional.
- Less recovery time required than standard implants
- Less costly
- No need for a screw or abutment (connector piece)
- No bone grafting necessary in case of implant failure
- Used to replace a small tooth in the lower or upper jaw in the front of the mouth
Limitations of Mini Dental Implants
At Wisconsin Dental Solutions, we want our patients to be fully educated about the pros and cons of their dental implant options. Although mini dental implants are a great option for certain patients, they do have some limitations, including the following:
- They are FDA-approved to support dentures in the lower jaw only. Mini dental implants do not perform well when placed in the upper jaw, because the upper jaw has less bone density than the lower jaw.
- If mini dental implants are supporting a denture, Dr. Lotowski will need to place more implants than he would with standard implants (e.g., four mini implants vs. two standard implants for snap-on dentures).
- The head of the mini dental implant wears more easily because of the absence of an abutment connector piece. If it wears significantly, the entire implant may need to be replaced (as opposed to a standard implant, in which case only the abutment would need to be replaced).
- There is no guarantee how long mini dental implants will last. However, when used in the right situation, they can be a long-term solution.
Learn More about Mini Dental Implants
For more information about mini dental implants in Madison, WI, please contact our office at (608) 834-6321 and schedule an informative consultation.